[OS X TeX] hyperref

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 9 00:12:51 CET 2006

On 8-nov-2006, at 23:54, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> Companion2ed says: "The usage of hyperref can be quite easy. Just
> including it in your list of loaded packages (as the last package)
> suffices to turn all cross-references in your document into
> hypertext links."
>
> Until then, I hadn't realized that the authors had so developed a
> sense of humor. (I read somewhere that hyperref was difficult to
> uninstall).

Not loading hyperref is sufficient to avoid using it. And yes, this
must be humorous, otherwise they must have been malicious. With most
packages that require driver specific extensions, it is usually best
to avoid specifying the driver: pdftex will be detected
automagically, and if dvi is produced, it is assumed that dvips will
be used. Due to limitations in the various drivers, the results may
be different: hyperlinks in dvi -> ps -> pdf (i.e. dvips) cannot be
broken across lines. if pdftex is usde to produce pdf, then
hyperlinks can be broken. With that warning out of the way, I'll just
list my setup, with comments. Really all that is there can be found
in the hyperref manual (texdoc hyperref/manual; read sections 3 & 4).

I usually set all colours to black, and no boxes. This allows me to
print, while still having internal links. Note that there are some
packages that must be loaded after hyperref. ~This is usually
indicated in the respective manual (hypernat for natbib comes to mind).

\usepackage[backref=page,pagebackref,hyperindex]{hyperref}

	\hypersetup{%
		colorlinks=true, % use coloured links
		linkcolor=black, % set all colours to black
		anchorcolor=black,
		citecolor=black,
		filecolor=black,
		menucolor=black,
		pagecolor=black,
		urlcolor=black,
		bookmarksopen=true, % open the bookmarks when the file is opened.
		bookmarksnumbered=false, % do not number the bookmarks
		pdfpagemode=UseOutlines, % I forgot what this does.
		pdftitle={Some title}, % the title of the document
		pdfauthor={Your name},
		pdfsubject={The sub title of subject},
		pdfkeywords={the keywords for the document. May be used by
Spotlight.},
		pdfview={FitH}, % fit the paper horizontally in the window
		pdfstartview={FitH}, % the view when opened
		pdfstartpage={1}, % open on page 1
		plainpages=false, % I forgot why this is there
		pdfpagelabels=true % allow hyperref to produce special page labels,
avoiding double markers with the same name.
	}

HTMH,

Maarten