[OS X TeX] Mac OS X Question

Julian Aguirre julian.aguirre at ehu.es
Wed Nov 8 11:43:40 CET 2006

Julian Aguirre
Departamento de Matematicas
Universidad del Pais Vasco

El 08/11/2006, a las 1:05, Alan Munn escribió:

>> On Nov 7, 2006, at 4:45 PM, Louis S VanSlyck wrote:
>>
>>> I googled  "graphics plain tex", but the explanation is too
>>> anemic for me. I thought the syntax would be like:
>>>
>>> \input color
>>>
>>> {\color{red} This prints red.}    % This works fine.
>>>
>>> which suggests (to me) that one should write:
>>>
>>> \input picture
>>>
>>> {\picture{Logo.pdf}}
>>>
>>> to place the graphic named "Logo.pdf".    % But that fails.
>
> These 'wrappers' allow plain TeX users to use (certain) LaTeX
> packages.  So the documentation for those packages is part of the
> LaTeX documentation.  So when you use \input graphicx (which is the
> most useful all purpose graphics package in LaTeX), you get access
> to that package and all its commands in your plain TeX file.  To
> find out more about that documentation, type "texdoc graphicx" in a
> terminal window (no quotes) and the docs should open.
>
> At 5:14 PM -0600 11/7/06, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> \input graphicx
>>
>> and then
>>
>> \usegraphics{Logo.pdf}
>
> This won't work.  The correct syntax is
>
> \includegraphics{Logo.pdf}
>
> Beware that these wrappers are not particularly supported and so
> everything may not work the same way as it would within a LaTeX
> file. (Which is why we continue to recommend that you stick to
> LaTeX and not plain TeX.)
>
> Is there a reason why you are sticking to plain TeX, Lou?
>
> Alan

I found out that using the color and graphicx package with *pdftex*
produced errors. The following code, provided by Dan in the
comp.text.tex list, works:

\input miniltx
\makeatletter
\def\Gin at driver{pdftex.def}
\input color.sty
\@namedef{ver at pdftex.def}{}
\input graphicx.sty
\resetatcatcode

\textcolor{red}{Hello}
\includegraphics[width=.4\hsize]{image.pdf}

\end