[OS X TeX] /usr/local/teTeX

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Wed Nov 1 21:57:32 CET 2006

On Nov 1, 2006, at 17:41 , Friedrich Vosberg wrote:

> Morning.
>
> Could I without danger delete /usr/local/teTeX when i-Installer has
> finished the installation of TeX Live and has created the new tree /
> usr/local/TeXLive and the path in TeXShop is changed into /usr/
> local/TeXLive/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current. Or do I (or the
> system) need to keep /usr/local/teTeX?

No need to keep /usr/local/teTeX around, but it will not hurt to keep
it. Both systems are completely independent except for one thing: the
CLI activation.

Only one TeX can be active on the CLI at the same time as only one
can be found first in the PATH (strictly speking, you can call TeX
without it being available in the PATH as TeShop does, but let's not
complicate matters). Hence, both systems share the PATH addition to
the CLI environment. Whichever configure phase has run last has set
the CLI PATH to itself. And if you uninstall TeX from either i-
Package, the CLI PATH reference s removed.

Hence,

Install TeX i-Package
Install TeX Live i-Package
Uninstall TeX i-Package

will leave you without a CLI PATH setting because uninstall TeX
removes the PATH setting also for TeX Live. If you decide to keep the
TeX i-Package available it is easy to switch between both systems on
the CLI:

After running the TeX i-Package ocnfiguration, it will be the active
TeX system and the same goes for the TeX Live i-Package.

PS. your files in ~/Library/texmf will be available in both systems,
so it is important you do not have settings or files there that are
not compatible with both. Most importantly: language/hyphenation and
font map file configuration will generally not work with both
systems. As long as you have kept to the defaults, you will not be
affected.