[OS X TeX] updmap

Paul Vickers paul.vickers at unn.ac.uk
Wed Nov 1 09:11:09 CET 2006

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 31.10.2006 um 20:20 schrieb Paul Vickers:
>
>> sudo updmap --enable Map gentium.map
>>
>> It works ok, but I seem to recall from a while back that the
>> recommended method of running updmap had changed. I couldn't find
>> anything on a search of the archives though. Ok, so the question is
>> this: have I used the right command to update the font maps, or is
>> there some preferred magic invokation that is better?:-)
>
> Which version of TeX are you using?

Not entirely sure how one finds out, but the first lines in the TeXshop
console when compiling a file are:
"This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5)
  \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
(./cv.tex
LaTeX2e <2003/12/01>"

Running 'latex --verison' from the command prompt gives:

"pdfeTeX 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5)
kpathsea version 3.5.5
Copyright 2005 Peter Breitenlohner (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
Kpathsea is copyright 2005 Karl Berry and Olaf Weber.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the pdfeTeX copyright and
the Lesser GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file
named COPYING and the pdfeTeX source.
Primary author of pdfeTeX: Peter Breitenlohner (eTeX)/Han The Thanh
(pdfTeX).
Kpathsea written by Karl Berry, Olaf Weber, and others.
"

> I think some time in summer the system of <tool> vs. <tool>-sys was
> withdrawn and only 'experts' was given the chance to get <tool> and
> <tool>-sys back.
>
> Could you check whether you have the files
> ~/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg and ~/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.log
> and which date and owner they have?

Yes, they're there with modified date set to yesterday (when I ran updmap).

If these files exist and are recent,
> then you'll also have MAP files in ~/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap,
> ~/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap, and ~/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap. If
> all this is true, then you have created MAP files for your account only
> and would need to remove them with:
>
>     cd ; sudo rm -rf texmf/fonts/map

ok, though as it is a single user machine, I'm guessing this is not
desperately problematic?

> Did you run texhash after installing the Gentium files?

Yup - remembered to do that after the first updmap failed to find
gentium.map.

If not, you can
> now invoke 'sudo texhash' and update afterwards the MAP files with
>
>     sudo updmap-sys --enable Map gentium.map

ok, cheers. I have removed the user maps and regenerated the system maps.

Thanks

Paul