[OS X TeX] 1/2" margins

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 04:36:10 CET 2006

Claus Gerhardt wrote:

> The default of the book.cls is
> \ExecuteOptions{letterpaper,10pt,twoside,onecolumn,final,openright}
>
> Thus you would have to replace 10pt by 11pt.
>
> However, I consider your settings
>
>>> paperheight=11in, paperwidth=8.5in, top=0.5in,  bottom=0.5in,
>>> left=0.5in, right=0.5in}
>>

> ill advised, since the default dimensions of the text body in the
> book.cls are already pretty large.

I agree and don't like 11pt but the readers for whom the book is
designed do.

> If you really would like to save  some paper I would recommend to use
> the standard 10pt font size  instead of 11pt, which is in my view also
> easier on the eye.

I will make another try with the students.

On the other hand, I have a feeling that you may have missed the point
of what I am trying to do which is to have the standard book class for
the book, complete with the included exercises, but, when I print the
exercises separately to be handed out as homework, to use the standard
1/2" margins on a 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper.

What Stengel suggested works very nicely, that is I have the default
setting for the "book cum exercise" and the 1/2" setting for the
"exercise as homework" except that the default setting of the geometry
package is not the same as the default of the book class which I would
like to keep.

Regards
--schremmer