[OS X TeX] 1/2" margins

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 02:01:16 CET 2006

Frank STENGEL wrote:

> Le 11 oct. 06 à 20:32, Alain Schremmer a écrit :
>

>> For some documents, though, I would prefer the margins to be 1/2"
>> all around an 8 1/2 by 11 page.
>>
>> Is there a way to achieve that by renewing something?
>>
>> (I don't even know how to get 1/2" margins as I got lost in
>> Companion2ed.)
>

> Try using the geometry.sty package. It gives you a lot of control on
> the geometry of the page. what you want could be achieved by the lines
>
> \usepackage{geometry}
> \geometry{paperheight=11in, paperwidth=8.5in, top=0.5in,
> bottom=0.5in, left=0.5in, right=0.5in}
>
> There is some fine print regarding headers and footers, so be sure to
> read the documentation...

Earlier on I ran into a problem and got everything on the backburner for
a while.

Essentially, my setup is as follows (all files are
\documentclass[11pt]{book}):

    Book.tex with \include{Exercise}
    Homework.tex with \include{Exercise}
    Exercise.tex

The idea being to be able to print the Exercise by itself under the
heading of Homework.tex.

But then, to minimize the paper used for Homework, I thought of using
smaller margins.  So, as per your suggestion above, I used
\usepackage{geometry}
with

    \geometry{paperheight=11in, paperwidth=8.5in, top=0.5in,
    bottom=0.5in, left=0.5in, right=0.5in}

commented out in Book.tex and uncommented in Homework.tex. It works fine
except for the fact that  the default of \usepackage{geometry} is not
the same as that of  \documentclass[11pt]{book}.

So, my question is how to change that default. The manual mentions:

    One can set up a configuration file to make default options. To do
    this, produce a file geometry.cfg containing an \ExecuteOptions
    macro, for example,
    \ExecuteOptions{a4paper,dvips}
    and install it somewhere TEX can find it.
    The options specified in the geometry.cfg can be cleared by option
    reset.

This would seem to do it but I have no idea how to let the default be
that of \documentclass[11pt]{book}

I have a complete minisetup on which to try things (things are in fact a
bit more complicated than above as I have a bunvh of renewcommands to
show/not-show various things.) so it is not that I am afraid of
demolishing things. It is simply that I have no idea where to start.
Here, Companion2ed is no help to me.

Very hopeful regards
--schremmer