[OS X TeX] suppressing url in bibliography

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue May 30 17:30:44 CEST 2006

On 30 May 2006, at 4:07 pm, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On May 30, 2006, at 07:54, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:
>
>> On May 30, 2006, at 9:38 AM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way to suppress a url from showing in the bibliography?
>>>
>>> I use bibdesk for my bibliographic data base and many entries
>>> have links to online journals. When I use the  bibliographic
>>> style apsrev.bst (for APS journals), these url's appear in the
>>> bbl file. To remove them, I edit the bbl file by hand. Is there a
>>> simpler way?
>>
>> I suppose you could do a search and replace on the .bib file and
>> rename all the "url" field names to "url2" or something similar.
>> Then the urls are still there in the bibfile, but the style files
>> will ignore them because they don't recognize the field name.
>
> That will be pretty annoying for BibDesk usage, though, since we
> use "URL" as the default URL field.  If you do that, AppleScript
> from within BibDesk would be more reliable than a global find/
> replace in a text editor.
>
> In this case, I'd edit the apsrev.bst file to suppress printing the
> URL (or to use a bogus field for the URL); searching for "url" in
> the bst file should show you the relevant location.

I think there may be a simpler solution (though I don't use any of
this stuff myself, so this is untested).... try something like

   \def\urlprefix{}
   \def\url#1{}

before the bibliography.

This should work because apsrev.bst uses these macros to format the
URL, and it generates code that checks if \url and \urlprefix are
already defined; if so, it leaves your definitions unchanged.

JK