[OS X TeX] suppressing url in bibliography

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue May 30 17:30:44 CEST 2006

On 30 May 2006, at 4:07 pm, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> On May 30, 2006, at 07:54, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:
>> On May 30, 2006, at 9:38 AM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:
>>> Is there a way to suppress a url from showing in the bibliography?
>>> I use bibdesk for my bibliographic data base and many entries
>>> have links to online journals. When I use the  bibliographic
>>> style apsrev.bst (for APS journals), these url's appear in the
>>> bbl file. To remove them, I edit the bbl file by hand. Is there a
>>> simpler way?
>> I suppose you could do a search and replace on the .bib file and
>> rename all the "url" field names to "url2" or something similar.
>> Then the urls are still there in the bibfile, but the style files
>> will ignore them because they don't recognize the field name.
> That will be pretty annoying for BibDesk usage, though, since we
> use "URL" as the default URL field.  If you do that, AppleScript
> from within BibDesk would be more reliable than a global find/
> replace in a text editor.
> In this case, I'd edit the apsrev.bst file to suppress printing the
> URL (or to use a bogus field for the URL); searching for "url" in
> the bst file should show you the relevant location.

I think there may be a simpler solution (though I don't use any of
this stuff myself, so this is untested).... try something like

before the bibliography.

This should work because apsrev.bst uses these macros to format the
URL, and it generates code that checks if \url and \urlprefix are
already defined; if so, it leaves your definitions unchanged.