[OS X TeX] Problem with index using memoir

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Sat May 27 12:32:45 CEST 2006

>TM> You need to say
>TM>    \documentclass[10pt,...,makeindx]{memoir}

This is wrong. Memoir doesn't have a makeindx option.

>TM> See also /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/makeindex/makeindex.dvi

This is an outdated document. It talks about \documentstyle (LaTeX 209)
rather than \documentclass. In LaTeX2e it would be used with \usepackage.
Besides that the option is called makeidx instead of makeindx, and it
wouldn't apply to the memoir class anyway. Memoir does have the equivalent
functionality builtin.

I tried your example, but I had to disable the apacite line as I don't have
that. It runs without problems. Could it be that apacite clobbers the
\printindex command. Note that memoir has its own \printindex definition,
so if someway the makeidx package would be loaded I presume it would
clobber memoir's definition and generate the error message you see.
You can check the log file to see if it is loaded along the way.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>