[OS X TeX] Another 10.4.6-freeze fix update

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sat May 27 01:07:39 CEST 2006

On May 26, 2006, at 20:42, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> As I have announced (and those that receive this message in bcc
> already know), i-Installer 2.77 (which is ppc-only) triggers the
> freeze bug in 10.4.6, especially when some updates to the OS have been
> applied. As the intel version (2.76 is universal) also has problems on
> intel 10.4.4 and up, I am effectively without a decently working
> i-Installer for intel mac. This has been the worst fix I have been in
> in 5 years.
>
> It is up to Apple to provide us with an update (10.4.7) that
> stabilizes the OS again. The outlook is good, but I do not know how
> much time it will take them.
>
> I have now released a beta which will certainly improve matters and
> which could likely improves them to the point the only problems left
> are harmless (some lost error output of subprocesses). The app is
> again universal.
>
> I would like to release this with 48 hours and I could do with some
> testing, especially on 10.4.6 intel systems. Here is what I would like
> you to test:
> 	1. Remove "/Library/Fonts/Latin Modern" if available
> 	2. Install Fontforge
> 	3. Install TeX (full, 2005)
> I welcome reports.
>
> The beta can be downloaded from
>
> 	ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/comp/macosx/volumes/ii2/II2-beta.dmg

This beta has just been updated. i-Installer is now still 2.78 but
"Build May 26, 22:50 GMT".

Additional tests that I would like to see:
- Start i-Installer on intel systems using Rosetta (esp. on 10.4.6).
This can be done by selecting the app in the Finder, choosing Get Info
and check the box: Open using Rosetta. If all is well your system will
*not* freeze when you start i-Installer (though I cannot test it here
becaue I have no 10.4.6 anymore, so be warned this may freeze your
system) but a warning panel will be displayed and the app will quit.
- Run i-Installer on 10.4.4. or 10.4.5 (on intel preferably). A warning
panel will be displayed on intel systems.

Afaic, this is a release candidate, except that I would like
confirmation that the app quits on 10.4.6 updated systems when run with
Rosetta.