[OS X TeX] Re: finding commands (was: Turning eps to pdf problems)

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon May 22 11:29:05 CEST 2006

Am 22.05.2006 um 09:57 schrieb Robert Bruner:

> and I would like ways to find out what is available without
> having to wait for someone to mention it, or (hopeless, I don't have
> the time) just wade through all the directories trying things.

The the usual programmes' "home directories" are listed in the
environment variable PATH. Some other are not listed there, except
you work as a system administrator and need to use programmes from /
usr/sbin or /sbin. Some other "official" applications are in the /
Developer tree (Applications, Applications/Utilities, Tools).

A lot obvious binaries, some with a GUI, are hidden somewhere in /
System/Library or /Library. They are part of complex systems. The
convert utility I mentioned uses the same library calls as Preview
would use and helps to convert some file type in Safari into a format
that could be used for printing in Mac OS X. Printer companies
deliver drivers to help adjusting their printers' properties from
Print Center or to monitor what they are doing ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Bake Pizza not war!