[OS X TeX] Re: Installing a package on Mac-TeX

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon May 22 09:14:39 CEST 2006

Le 22 mai 06 à 06:05, Oleg Kobchenko a écrit :

> Thank you for the responses.
> Where to copy is clear, as was shown in the Makefile.
>
> But my question was, how to do it automatically.
> For example, "skak" has three folder: doc, tex and
> mf, "chessfss" has a "bundle" in *.ins files, which
> first need to be latexed then put somewhere.
>
> Also, if I just copy like that, how would I
> uninstall a package?
>
> Next, how to resolve dependecies between packages?
>
> In MikTeX, it's all done behind the scenes.

TCOBrowser <http://tcobrowser.sourceforge.net/> includes some
management of MikTeX packages. From its ReadMe:

"Double-clicking a MiKTeX icon will download that file to and extract
it to the location of your choosing, if you enable the feature in
TCOBrowser's Preferences.  You are on your own if you use this
feature to install packages, and I take no responsibility if you
break your TeX install.  Be aware that packages may be out-of-date or
incompatible with existing installation files, and that you need to
manually update them.  The main idea behind this feature is to make
it simple to install an odd package or two in a local texmf tree, not
to provide versioning and dependency checking."

Other than that, the normal procedure on OS X is installing stuff
manually at the appropriate places. An alternative is writing a
script, as you did, but IMHO I find it faster to do the manual
install than to write the script.

Same for uninstall, and for dependencies.