Going beyond TeX (was Re: [OS X TeX] Using OTF-fonts for TeX)

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue May 16 13:54:31 CEST 2006

Le 16 mai 06 à 13:39, William Adams a écrit :

> Actually, it's very important to realize that TeX in-and-of-itself is
> firmly rooted in an old-style of text handling, and while there have
> been really amazing projects extending it (Omega, pdftex, XeTeX)
> there are a lot of fundamental architectural difficulties (see a
> recent thread on this on usenet:comp.text.tex, also the recent
> discussion of LaTeX font warnings on the XeTeX list and the
> pointlessness of a utfenc.def file for XeTeX).

Agreed! My impression (keep in mind I'm not especially competent on
these matters) is that TeX will have at some point to catch up with
SGML and its derivatives (XML, HTML, MathML, etc.), and of course
with Unicode, in order to merely survive. XeTeX and Omega are
certainly important steps towards Unicode. I hope LaTeX will provide
bridges towards SGML input and output; ConTeXt possibly does already,
I cannot say as I haven't found the time to try it yet.

FWIW,