Going beyond TeX (was Re: [OS X TeX] Using OTF-fonts for TeX)

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue May 16 13:39:24 CEST 2006

On May 16, 2006, at 3:17 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Won't go beyond version ¹, I'm afraid: Knuth, being a mathematician
> and mischievous at heart, has decided that version numbers for TeX
> would converge towards ¹, and for METAFONT towards e.
>
> Of no importance truly, but I couldn't resist either!

Actually, it's very important to realize that TeX in-and-of-itself is
firmly rooted in an old-style of text handling, and while there have
been really amazing projects extending it (Omega, pdftex, XeTeX)
there are a lot of fundamental architectural difficulties (see a
recent thread on this on usenet:comp.text.tex, also the recent
discussion of LaTeX font warnings on the XeTeX list and the
pointlessness of a utfenc.def file for XeTeX).

That said, I still expect to be using LaTeX (especially pdflatex and
xelatex) for a long while now, and am actually working at work to
convert a journal over from being done in Quark to being done in
XeLaTeX, since I've finally convinced them that it's not reasonable
to expect a 48hr. turn-around on ~100 pgs. being done in an
application which:

1 - crashes regularly,
2 - produces ~150MB source files for each section ('cause of the
embedded graphics previews) and
3 - which is so primitive in its text handling requires manual
intervention throughout to get decent text
4 - requires manually pasting in every bullet 'cause there's no
option to automatically set them in the right place
5 - requires manual intervention for every switch from one- to two-
column mode and back
6 - requires manually placing every decorative graphic behind every
section head
7 - requires setting the font for every mathematics character (this
is mostly automated in WordBASIC, but still a nuisance, esp. when one
falls in a line at the top of a column and must be adjusted for
baseline placement 'cause Agfa Mathematical Pi has a different em-
square than Adobe Garamond)
8 - requires pasting in manually every special symbol to indicate an
article's on-line status
9 - requires a user to measure the space on the front page of every
section and determine if there's room for a decorative computer
graphic and if there is, which one.
10 - requires manually pulling in every bit of placed art --- this we
could fix if we'd get Em Software's xData XTension

and probably some other things I'm not remembering now. InDesign
partisans please note that it would only help with items 1 and 3,
maybe 4 if I set all the text styles 'cept for the bulleted ones to
be slightly indented and make the columns artificially wider to
accommodate the ``outdenting'' of the bullets... hmm, that would
probably work in Quark too.... and maybe 10, or we'd have to get Em
Software's ``InData''.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.