[OS X TeX] i-Installer suddenly freezing my system

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Fri May 12 17:14:00 CEST 2006

On May 12, 2006, at 16:33, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 12 mai 06 à 16:19, Daniel Käsmayr a écrit :
>
>> I just wanted to start i_installer (current version) and suddenly, as
>> soon as the app seems to have loaded my whole system just freezes. No
>> more input possible, just moving the mouse cursor around. After a
>> hard reset - no traces in any log files.
>>
>> This is on an iMac Core Duo with OSX 10.4.6 and the latest security
>> updates (etc.) installed.?
>
> Do you mean the really latest update (i.e. of today)? This one is
> known to cause freezes, especially on MacTels. See
> <http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/05/11/troubleshooting.updates/>. The
> update seems to have dealt with rather deep parts of the OS
> <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303737>. Could one of
> these affect i-Installer? libcurl, Keychain, Finder, LaunchServices
> come to mind. In particular, the Finder is said to now insist that the
> URL scheme is identical to the Internet Location type; given that
> i-Directories and i-Packages are http:// adresses, could this be
> relevant here?

I told Daniel I cannot corroborate, but it seems now that I can.

So, I can corroborate the freeze. For me it is not on startup of
i-Installer, but when I tried to open an i-package from the KNown
Packages window it froze.

The system is not entirely dead. The mouse moves, the windowing system
is dead, I cannot ssh into the system, but it reacts to ping.

Seems like a problem with the Apple update.