[OS X TeX] TeXniscope problem

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri May 12 09:34:48 CEST 2006

Hi André, Bruno and others.

On 12/05/2006, at 2:44 PM, André Valentin wrote:

> Le 10 Mai 2006 23:27:33 +0200, Bruno Voisin a écrit
>>> \documentclass{article}
>>> \usepackage[dvipsnames]{pstricks}
>>> [...]

>>> But when I double-click the dvi file, TeXniscope translates it
>>> (using dvipdfmx) to a (temporary) pdf file
>>> and I only get the red text, no (RoyalBlue) frame and no fill color
>>> (Cyan)
>>>

>>  From the dvipdfm doc /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/programs/
>> dvipdfm.pdf (p. 20):
>>
>> "Complex PostScript code, such as that embedded by the PSTricks
>> package, is not supported."
>>

>> Thus it seems (i) dvipdfm is incompatible with pstricks and (ii)
>> dvipdfmx (and hence TeXniscope) isn't any "better" in this respect.
>> Unfortunately!

The best way that I've found to deal with this is to use either
(or both) of the packages  ps4pdf  and  pdftricks .

These help to automate the process of pre-processing specified
sections of the LaTeX source using TeX+dvips+Ghostscript,
and including the result as a PDF image.

Each of these packages has (relatively minor) limitations, which
can actually be dependent on precisely what is contained in the
material that needs to be pre-processed. That's why I do not
recommend one over another. (I even have some documents that
need to use both packages!)

> I was not aware of this...

As to whether these packages can be incorporated into a workflow
that involves a double-click on a .dvi file, really I don't know
as I never work that way.
Certainly it may be worth doing some tests to see whether it can
be made to work.

> Of course, if I were able to read all docs, as Bruno is, I wouldn' t
> ask for help.
> Thanks for the clarification!
>
> André Valentin

Hope this helps someone.