[OS X TeX] Re: [XeTeX] texdoc, was: Microtypography?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed May 10 14:11:41 CEST 2006

Le 10 mai 06 à 12:38, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> Things aren't perfect, though: asking for the doc of hyperref, I
> get the doc for cjhebrew (both docs seem to live in files named
> manual.pdf).

This seems to be caused by the fact that texdoctk does not include
the provision for the various texmf trees managed by gwTeX, as
defined in /Library/teTeX/texmf.cnf:

% TEXMFMAIN contains the TEXMF tree installed by make install of the
programs
TEXMFMAIN = $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf
% TEXMFTE contains the main TEXMF tree from teTeX
TEXMFTE = $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf.tetex
% TEXMFGW contains GW specific defaults and additions
TEXMFGW = $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf.gwtex
% TEXMFLOCAL contains any local system TeXadmin overrides
TEXMFLOCAL = $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf.local
% $VARTEXMF is where texconfig writes its local settings
VARTEXMF = $TEXMFLOCAL
% User texmf trees can be catered for like this...
HOMETEXMF = $HOME/Library/texmf

Instead, it allows only one distribution tree and one local tree, as
defined in /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/texdoctk/texdocrc.defaults:

# root of doc directory (from $TEXMFMAIN)
TEXDOCPATH=doc
# root of local doc directory (from $TEXMFLOCAL)
# can be left empty if equal to TEXDOCPATH or if $TEXMFLOCAL is
undefined
LOCALDOCPATH=

As a consequence, /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/doc/fonts/cjhebrew/
manual.pdf (corresponding to cjhebrew) is found before /Library/teTeX/
share/texmf.tetex/doc/latex/hyperref/manual.pdf (corresponding to
hyperref).

Thus it seems there is still a significant gap to fill in before a
dedicated OS X TeX doc viewer can be born.