[OS X TeX] Re: [XeTeX] texdoc, was: Microtypography?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue May 9 13:19:04 CEST 2006

Am 09.05.2006 um 12:40 schrieb Bruno Voisin:

> What's happening? Is it linked against a version of Perl
> incompatible with that in OS X? Or is simply an initialization file
> missing? Or am I calling texdoctk in an inappropriate way?

You need to install a real bunch of software!

It's just one Perl "module" -- but it's vast. To start with: 'sudo -H
cpan install perltk' ...

You will be asked many questions before, then the cpan programme will
fetch, out-pack, configure, make, check, and install the module and
all other Perl modules that might be needed as pre-requisites. It
will create its own tree of files and directories in root's home
directory, i.e. /var/root/.cpan. (I have there over 100 MB!)

When you invoke 'sudo cpan ...' cpan will create in your home
directory the .cpan tree, completely owned by root. Cpan seems to be
a bit stupid compared to Fink or Darwinports: it does not seem to
automatically update a package that has changed, although it first
fetches from the CPAN (Comprehensive Perl Archive Network) the newest
module descriptions -- or I missed something.

Bruno, please pay attention to the two really different names: texdoc
and texdoctk. The former is just a shell script (and I think there is
nothing in teTeX or gwTeX that 'configures' it), and the other is a
graphical application, that itself can use texdoc for not to decide
itself which application will show the doc. In my ~/.texdocrc I have
set texdoc as handler for some document types in texdoctk, as I did
before in GNU or Carbon Emacs and its AUCTeX mode. Indeed, using the
default value of "open" as viewer will ask Mac OS X to find out which
file type this document is and then use the Mac OS X application to
display the file. I only wonder whether this Mac OS engine makes the
right decisions and is able to determine the kind of a plain UNIX
file ... (opening it in a sound editor?)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Got Mole problems?