[OS X TeX] Re: [XeTeX] texdoc, was: Microtypography?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue May 9 12:40:48 CEST 2006

Le 9 mai 06 à 11:36, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> Am 09.05.2006 um 10:47 schrieb Bruno Voisin:
>
>> However, trying texdoc right now I'm realizing it opens PDF files
>> in Preview and DVI files in TeXShop. That is, this is how things
>> work on my setup: the man page for texdoc mentions environment
>> variables $TEXDOCVIEW_dvi, $TEXDOCVIEW_pdf, $TEXDOCVIEW_ps,
>> $TEXDOCVIEW_html and $TEXDOCVIEW_txt, but I can't find them in the
>> various texmf.cnf on my setup. Maybe these variables are overriden
>> by the Mac OS X association of file extensions (.dvi, .pdf and so
>> forth) and applications (TeXShop, TeXniscope, Preview and so forth)?
>
> These variables are not for or from a shell's environment and they
> do not mean anything to TeX, so they are not in any texmf.cnf file.
> And since texdoc is a general script it has no special connection
> to Mac OS X or MS Windows specific mechanisms. The variables are
> internal symbols texdoc uses. [...]

Thanks for the info. Motivated by it, after digging a bit more, it
seems the use of OS X-specific viewers is one of the benefit of using
gwTeX: the file /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/texdoctk/
texdocrc.defaults overrides the default config file /file/teTeX/share/
texmf.tetex/texdoctk/texdocrc.defaults, so that for example

DVI_VIEWER=xdvi

is replaced by

DVI_VIEWER=open

which, if I understood correctly, calls for the standard Finder's way
of opening DVI files, namely TeXShop on my setup.

> Texdoc does not check for environment variables except PAGER to
> display text files page-wise with, or the name of a directory for
> temporary files. And texdoc does not understand that some authors
> call the documentation for their package xyz "manual" ...

The teTeX manual, namely (in gwTeX) /Library/teTeX/share/texmf/doc/
tetex/TETEXDOC.pdf, mentions a derivative texdoctk of texdoc, using a
database file /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/texdoctk/
texdoctk.dat to associate binary or package names with the
corresponding documentation file names. For example, the LaTeX
package hyperref has its documentation named manual.pdf and has the
database entry:

hyperref;Hyperlinks in LaTeX (hyperref);latex/hyperref/
manual.pdf;HyperTeX

Seems nice. However, here's what I get in Terminal:

legimc11:~ brunovoisin$ texdoctk hyperref
Can't locate Tk.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/
darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/5.8.6 /Library/Perl/
5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.8.6 /Library/Perl /
Network/Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Network/
Library/Perl/5.8.6 /Network/Library/Perl /System/Library/Perl/Extras/
5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.8.6 /
Library/Perl/5.8.1 .) at /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-
current/texdoctk line 12.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-
apple-darwin-current/texdoctk line 12.

What's happening? Is it linked against a version of Perl incompatible
with that in OS X? Or is simply an initialization file missing? Or am
I calling texdoctk in an inappropriate way?