[OS X TeX] Droplatexdiff available.

Kino quinon at rio.odn.ne.jp
Mon May 8 16:03:13 CEST 2006

On 8 May 2006, at 20:28, Joseph C. Slater wrote:

> Anyone who has the Apple Developer Tools can use FileMerge.app to
> do this. What's the advantage of this tool over FileMerge?

While FileMerge compares files only line by line, latexdiff works
like an old MacOS app called DocuComp and does compare them word by
word.

So latexdiff would be much more useful for writers. Unfortunately
latexdiff does not handle text in languages not using space chars as
word separator. So it is not useable for my Japanese LaTeX files,
though.

On 6 May 2006, at 22:43, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> Because the order of the files presented to the Droplatexdiff.app
> was undetermined (it depends upon exactly how you select the two
> files to be compared)

Isn't it the order of files show by Finder and Open dialog box?

And thank you very much. Encouraged by your droplet and inspired by
latexdiff, I just created a similar droplet, not for comparing tex
files as tex files but for simply comparing two files word by word.
Might be useful when you want to compare no tex files. Please try it
if you are interested in such a feature.
<http://www2.odn.ne.jp/alt-quinon/files/varia/DropDocComp-app.zip>

Output will look like
<http://www2.odn.ne.jp/alt-quinon/files/varia/doccomp_out.png>

- Compare two files word by word. Here "word" stands for text portion
separated by [[:space:][:punct:]]. So, even for text in languages not
using space as word separator, [[:punct:]] will work. Additionally
some special treatment implemented for Japanese text.

- All files but having rtf, doc, html, htm and xml (Word XML) as
extension will be processed as plain text file. I.e. style/formatting
attributes will be ignored.

- Only UTF-8 is supported as plain text encoding. On OS X 10.2 and
10.3, you have to install rtf2txt (free) as /usr/local/bin/rtf2txt.
<http://www.bluem.net/downloads/rtf2txt_en/>

- Output file will be in rtf format on OS X 10.4 and in UTF-8 plain
text on OS X 10.2 and 10.3. It will be opened by TextEdit.

- To customise it (e.g. different colours), modify DropDocComp.app/
Contents/Resources/script.

Kino