[OS X TeX] Word spacing / Comparing pdfs in Acrobat

Markus Hänchen youcontrol at hispeed.ch
Thu May 4 12:20:05 CEST 2006

Hi,

I need to make visible, changes made to a LaTeX file. I tried to use
the 'Compare Documents' feature in Acrobat on the final pdf file since
it makes nice coloured mark-ups.

The problem is that with the variable word spacing LaTeX is producing,
Acrobat sometimes does not recognize the separating space between two
words and reads two words as one. When the text is reflown a different
set of words might be 'joined' and Acrobat sees changes where there are
actually none.

Is there a way to make the word spacing more uniform or bigger in general?

One work-around I have found is to increase the font size to 11 pt,
which seems to make the space between words big enough for Acrobat to
always catch it. But if I could have it working at 10 pt, I would
rather prefer that.

Do get the whole thing working I had to add a number of pagebreaks to
separate the whole text into chunks which will even after extensive
edits still fit on one page, otherwise Acrobat would also all changes
due to text flowing from one page to another.