[OS X TeX] Latex and Monotype Ehrhardt

Marc Millstone millstone at gmail.com
Tue May 2 13:41:43 CEST 2006

>On 5/2/06, Marc Millstone <millstone at gmail.com> wrote:

>>  \documentclass{article}
>>  \begin{document}
>> \fontsize{10.5}{12.6}
>> \usefont{T1}{metr8a}{m}{n}\selectfont
>>
>>  Testing a new font \dots the quick red fox jumped over the lazy brown dogs
>>
>> \end{document}
>>

>> in the main body, however in Texshop and Preview the text is blurry and
>> in Texniscope is it entirely unreadable after compiling with pdflatex...
>>
>> I poked through the archives and have gone through the standard books and
>> well... fonts can be confusing.

>Did you install the font? Cab you show us the output of the logfile
of that run?

>Morten

I apologize greatly if this does not show up in the proper thread,
since I receive messages via digest and grabbed the reply off the
archives. (In the future, is there a way to insure this message will
appear in the proper thread?).

Morten:

Obviously I am a moron.  I had installed the fonts awhile ago, but
then in a system
update hosed my installation.  Thanks for the obvious suggestion

Themis:

I think the reason changing T1 -> OT1 works is when latex cant find
the proper font
it loads OT1/cmr (which is pretty) and not T1/cmr (which is not).

On a grander scheme though, has this font become deprecated?  I remember
finding it easily of the CTAN site a while back, now when I search on google
for "Tex Monotype Ehrhardt"
I receive a broken link to
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/psfonts/monotype/ehrhardt/

Does this font have a new name or was it replaces with something similar?

Also, as a general discussion question, what other fonts are people
out there using and loving for the own notes and reports, etc?

Sincerely,
Marc