[OS X TeX] gtamacfonts ligatures: PDF searchability

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Mar 30 21:34:37 CEST 2006

On 30 Mar 2006, at 5:08, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> Maarten Sneep wrote:
>
>> Going very OT.
>>
>>  if you write that theorem down, the article in  which you do so
>> is protected by the copyright laws.
>
> There is nothing to prevent you from using any theorem, published
> or not. Try that with, say, fonts or a patented algorithm.

No argument from me there.

>> Without the existence of copyright  laws, the GPL wouldn't work.
>
> Without the existence of copyrights, there would be no need for GPL.

I'm not too sure about that. If a company uses GPL code, without
releasing changes they've made, they are in violation of the GPL, and
the original author can force them to release the changes. Without
copyright, you don't have such recourse.

Related to this: a keynote speach by Richard Stallman: "The Future of
Free Software" was just published on GrokLaw:

Maarten