[OS X TeX] figures

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 29 22:36:10 CEST 2006

On 29 Mar 2006, at 21:22, Glenn Umont wrote:

> Bruno,
>
> 	I still am unable to typeset with usepackage{graphix} and
> includegraphics{export.eps}.  The error flags the includegraphics
> {export.eps} statement.

What is the error exactly.

> 	When I try usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}, typeset proceeds, but no
> figure appears on the new extra page.
>
> 	I appreciate your early attempt to assist me.

Based on earlier experience, I think this might be a FAQ (the usual
pdflatex vs latex + ghostscript). Based on that assumption:

pdflatex (the default latex engine for TeXShop) can not read eps
files. There are now two solutions.

1a. Convert the eps file to pdf by dragging it onto the TeXShop icon,
and just store the resulting pdf file in the same location as the eps
file.
1b. Load the figures engine in latex with \usepackage{graphicx} %% do
not specify a "driver"
1c. Insert the figure with \includegraphics{figure} %% do not specify
the extension.

2a. From the "Typeset" menu select the item "Tex and Ghostscript". 1b
and 1c still apply (i.e. no driver, no extension. This will make your
document portable across the main two engines).

Maarten