[OS X TeX] gtamacfonts ligatures: PDF searchability

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 02:49:07 CEST 2006

Maarten Sneep wrote:

> The copyright owner has all rights to a work, and can set the standards.

Not exactly: there is no "copyright law", by divine right or otherwise.
There are the "copyright laws" that some people get passed but that
others don't or can't. If you wrote a verse or two, or took a picture,
or devised an algorithm, you can get it protected for the next century
or two—by copyright or patent law. You can even patent somebody else's
cells. (See Scientific American for details.) If you prove a theorem ….
tough luck. Or maybe the AMS is going to use its muscle …

> (think GPL),

I thought that the point of the GPL is to prevent others to copyright
the works and thus lock them up.

> so blaming copyright law itself is not correct either.

In the US, copyright law has changed vastly over the past thirty years
or so in order to "protect intellectual property" with an immense
extension of the concept of "intellectual property", all in the name, of
course, of freedom but bordering, if not exceeding, the absurd.

There is a well documented—if a bit disorganized—book on the subject:
The Anarchist in the Library: How the Clash Between Freedom and Control
is Hacking the Real World and Crashing the System by Siva Vaidhyanathan.

Best regards to all
--schremmer

**