[OS X TeX] gtamacfonts ligatures: PDF searchability

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Mar 28 15:22:49 CEST 2006

On Mar 28, 2006, at 8:16 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Furthermore, it would seem unfair from Apple to prevent "pre-
> processing" of the OS X fonts for TeX use: this would result in
> discrimination, regarding which software can use the fonts and
> which software can't. (I know a lawyer would probably object to
> this reasoning -- it feels suspiciously like the Apple vs. French
> DRM draft law issue --, but this is how it feels in any case.)

It's not fair to take unfair advantage of the usage rights granted by
Apple on behalf of the owners of these designs. Apple licensed these
fonts from their designers for use in and within Mac OS X --- TeX
isn't bundled w/ Mac OS X, so it's unreasonable to expect that they
should work with TeX.

Moreover, most, if not all of the designs are available separately
from their original designers in formats which are supported by
pdftex --- if you want to use Hoefler Text w/o XeTeX's limitations,
then license the Type 1 version from www.typography.com --- if you
don't want to do that, then pony up some money to pay to suport
development efforts to improve XeTeX and its support.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.