[OS X TeX] iTeXMaC and secure documents

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 27 20:45:59 CEST 2006

On 27 Mar 2006, at 20:28, Jason Davies wrote:

> My department wishes to produce secure pdfs (ie not copyable). I am
> testing a pdf and, though iTeXMac will not allow me to copy
> material from the original, it will let me save a copy then happily
> copy via the clipboard.
>
> Is that desirable? Does anyone know how to prevent this happening?
> The PDF was created in Acrobat Reader 7 on a PC.
>
> I believe this is on-topic but am happy to be instructed otherwise:-)

Acrobat reader will indeed fully honour this request, and print as
bitmap when printing to a PS printer to avoid capture of the PS
stream to re-distill. Let me say that I'm very happy that Preview
doesn't do that, 20 minutes per page for 30 pages isn't fun at all.

I doubt that full ‘protection’ will ever exist. I think that Preview
will honour the copy-restriction settings, but that should be
enforced at the framework level, otherwise any application that uses
these frameworks has te ensure itself that the protection is honoured.

Off topic: the concept of protecting pdf files (and indeed most other
digital media) is flawed from the start. Password protection may work
and be useful on occasion*, the rest is annoying, and can very easily
be circumvented.

Maarten

* When I sent out my thesis for proofreading, I password protected it
to avoid a fully open file. No other restrictions were applied.------------------------- Info --------------------------