[OS X TeX] sharing texmf trees between OS X and linux

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Mar 27 11:15:40 CEST 2006

Am 27.03.2006 um 09:48 schrieb Thomas A. Schmitz:

> One piece of information may be relevant: in Fedora, TeX would at
> first be set up to create ls-R files in HOMETEXMF as well. I looked
> at the ls-R, and it contained, as far as I could see, all the
> filenames. But whenever I called TeX, there was an error message
> that "the ls-R database contains no useable entries" or something
> to that effect.

Which are the directory paths in this ls-R file? Are they synonyms to
~/texmf or to the mounting point? In the latter case there is indeed
a restriction in the number of levels in the file system hierarchy,
although I cannot remember where it is documented (TDS?). (Where or
what is this $HOMETEXMF? What about creating a directory ~/texmf with
symlinks to /mnt/osx/Users/tas/Library/texmf/* in this directory?)

Why do you need to have another Linux home directory? Can't it be /
mnt/osx/Users/tas? In case you have two sorts of personal binaries
directories you could put them into ~/`uname -s`-bin or such ...

Why do you mount the data 'there' when you need it 'here?' Creating a
directory ~/texmf and mounting /Users/tas/Library/texmf in ~/texmf
would make things simpler ... but it would make it necessary learn a
bit of NFS (Network File System)! NFS can 'export' a tree (make it
available for mounting somewhere on the net, restricted to particular
IP addresses or IP names) on the server side, and it can mount this
tree on the client side. Server and client side can be on the same
computer. There should also be a loopback mount option in Linux ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

"I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've
always worked for me."
-- Hunter S. Thompson