[OS X TeX] White vs. Transparent?

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Sun Mar 26 00:20:27 CET 2006

At 7:43 PM +0100 3/25/06, Bruno Voisin wrote:

>Unfortunately I do have to use PowerPoint at times, when
>contributing to presentations involving several people, most of them
>on Windows and all of them -- except me -- using PowerPoint -- I
>prefer Keynote.

[lots of very useful info about PP compatibility snipped -Thanks Bruno!]

>That said, regarding your original question about quality of output,
>I have found that the markedly bitmapped look of images in
>PowerPoint Mac presentations isn't present in PowerPoint Windows
>presentations. Maybe Microsoft hasn't put the same amount of efforts
>in the Mac version as in the Windows one ;-) Or I haven't looked
>closely enough during the very few times I've used Windows.

At least for the things I have been doing I haven't had much of a
problem.  In particular, imported PDFs from LaTeXit seem to scale
properly in PP (Office 2004 for Mac).

>In practice, I would recommend making PowerPoint presentations on
>Windows whenever possible. Sadly! Or use Virtual PC for those with
>PPC Macs,

At our conferences so many of us use Macs that this isn't usually necessary.

>and for those with MacTels to take a walk on the wild side
><http://www.macworld.com/2006/03/firstlooks/xpmini/> ;-)

I'd need a lot more free time for this, (not to mention a new MacTel.)

Alan

--
Alan Munn                                                   amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics                                   amunn at acm.org