[OS X TeX] White vs. Transparent?

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 16:34:04 CET 2006

On 3/25/06, Alan Munn <amunn at msu.edu> wrote:
> At 10:33 PM -0500 3/24/06, david craig wrote:
> >
> >Still, there is clearly a difference between "white" and
> >"transparent". For example, equations dragged from LaTeXIt have a
> >transparent or nonexistent or whatever background, while in all
> >previous methods I have used the pdf's generated have a white
> >background.  (Hell, taking one of LaTeXIt's eqn pdfs and opening it
> >in GraphicConverter and re-saving turns the transparent background
> >to white.)
> >
> >Is there any tool for going the other way?  Or any way in pdftex to
> >tell it to produce a transparent background?

It is not property of LaTeXit but of TeX

> On a related note, how come the transparent background doesn't get
> preserved when importing LaTeXit's PDFs to Powerpoint?  Is there a
> way to keep it transparent, or is this a property/feature/bug of
> Powerpoint?

Probably the latter: Keynote or many graphic applications (there was a
discussion
how to paste TeX generated expression into picture but to change background from
transparent to colored (answer: put it in \colorbox{white}{...}. Or it
can be even the feature of PP on Mac, or may be even the results of
your PP settings.

On related note only latest stable pdflatex (1.30.xx) treated well png
with transparent
background; 1.21a converted background to the black one. Again it could depend
on how you import pdf in PP; there could be few different methods to import.

> (And please don't let's turn this into a debate about why I should
> use Beamer or Keynote...; my Powerpoint presentations require fast
> integration of Excel charts etc. from multiple authors using both PCs
> and Macs, none of whom use LaTeX.)

My condolences. The problem is that (as I suspect) very few people in
this list use
PP and this makes your chances to get a PP related answer pretty low.
My remark about beamer had just a purpose to explain why I cannot tell
much about KN specifics.