[OS X TeX] White vs. Transparent?

V. Yu. Shavrukov vshavruk at science.uva.nl
Fri Mar 24 17:31:55 CET 2006

On Mar 24, 2006, at 02:55, Victor Ivrii wrote:
> On 3/23/06, david craig <dac at panix.com> wrote:
>> I would like to be able to make certain  portions of some equations
>> "transparent".*  How can this be done?
>
> invisible? $2+2\phantom{=5}$.

That's not quite the same thing as transparent.  In this case the
glyphs  =5  just aren't there in the output (although of course the
appropriate space for them is and this is probably sufficient for
David's needs).  One can apparently get true transparent glyphs in
XeTeX, but I am not sure how to do it in LaTeX.

Volodya Shavrukov