[OS X TeX] CocoAspel 2.0.2 is missing misspelled words

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Mar 24 10:54:58 CET 2006

Le 24 mars 06 à 10:47, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> Thus it seems my pseudo-rant of this morning was simply a RTFM issue.
>
> However, even after reading the above, it is still unclear to me
> whether the "English [variant_0]" dictionary can be used as a
> substitute for "English", or in addition to it, or even whether en-
> variant_0.rws must be used in combination with some other *.rws
> component to compile a fully functional (and missing) replacement
> for the default English dictionary.

Well, it was even more of a RTFM. From "/Library/Application Support/
cocoAspell/aspell6-en-6.0-0/README" (the *[...]* emphasis is mine):

> Great care has been taken so that that only one spelling for any
> particular word is included in the main dictionary.  When two variants
> were considered equal I randomly picked one for inclusion in the main
> word list.  Unfortunately this means that my choice in how to spell a
> word may not match your choice.  For this reason the following
> auxiliary dictionaries are provided:
>
>   en-variant_0
>   en-variant_1
>   en-variant_2
>
> *These dictionaries are meant to be used in addition to one of the
> standard dictionaries. To specify them use the "extra-dicts" option.*
> The "en-variant_0" dictionary includes most variants which are
> considered almost equal, "en-variant_1" includes variants which are
> generally considered acceptable, and "variant_2" contains variants
> which are seldom used.  It is only necessary to use on of these
> dictionaries since "en-variant_1" includes all the words in
> "en-variant_0" and "en-variant_2" includes all the words in both
> "en-variant_0" and "en-variant_1".

Now, how to combine the "extra-dicts" option with the OS X Spelling
pane design is unclear to me. cocoAspell does not offer any GUI for
this. Nor is it known whether this is possible: the design of the OS
X spelling service might be incompatible with extra-dicts.