[OS X TeX] Text area borders

Josep M. Font jmfont at inicia.es
Thu Mar 23 09:50:13 CET 2006

El 23/03/2006, a las 3:02, Adam Goldstein escribió:

> Regarding the exams, there is a package for writing exams, which
> will do a good job of spacing out the questions. You can also
> produce a version of the exam with solutions, and produce notation
> for each question indicating how many points it is worth, a space
> for totaling the points on each page, and other niceties. You can
> find it on ctan, I believe; it is by Philip Hirschhorn, and it is
> called exam.cls.
>
> Maybe you already knew this and don't like the exam package, and
> that's why you are doing this on your own.

The "exam" class is a really great one, and gives one (almost)
everything one may need to format out exams in a variety of styles
and with many bells and whistles . . .  save the task of spacing out
the questions automatically, which seems to be what Alain is after.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think with "exam" you have to
explicitly tell LaTeX how much blank space you want between questions
in order to leave room for answers. You can also put \vspace*{\fill}
after each question on the page and use \newpage to end the page, and
then the questions will be equally spaced, but this is not a common
situation.

What I do is to start with no space, typeset, look at the resulting
formatted exam, and then decide the amount of space for each answer
and insert a \vspace*{the_required_space} command after each
question, as the space is normally different for each question. A
certain process of trial-and-error is necessarily involved in this,
and it is difficult to see how this might be avoided.

Best,

JMaF