[OS X TeX] Text in illustrations - unembedded

Lee Tryhorn Lee.Tryhorn at arts.monash.edu.au
Thu Mar 23 03:11:36 CET 2006

Dear everyone,

I am having a problem with a pdf that I am producing using TeXshop on a
machine running OS X 10.3.9.
I have no problems in viewing the pdf or printing it from my computer,
everything looks great.

However, when I tried to view the pdf on a computer running Windows or
Linux I received the error message, 'unable to extract the embedded
font XXX'  and much of the text would be displayed as dots.

Currently, after playing around with it a bit, Adobe (using Windows)
will view most of the pdf okay, it just makes a couple of the pages
blank, and along with the embedded font message gives the error
messages
'There was an error in processing a page, wrong operand type', 'An
unrecognized token -382d' was found', 'There was an error in processing
this document (114)'.

It appears that the problem lies in the text in some of the figures
that I am inserting into the document, when I comment out the figures
that have text in them I can view the pdf in Windows with no problems.
Has this happened to anyone before?

It has been suggested to me that that because the text in the figures
used on the standard fonts available the software didn't embed these
fonts.  Then when the figures were added to the TeX stuff, ghostscript
didn't embed those fonts either.

The figures were created in IDL.

If anyone has any suggestions on what I can do to fix this it would be
most appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Lee