[OS X TeX] Unable to extract the embedded font

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Mar 21 07:13:45 CET 2006

Le 21 mars 06 à 02:13, Lee Tryhorn a écrit :

> I'm running TeXShop on OS X 10.3.9 and my problem is this... when I
> create a pdf it will look fine on my computer, however when I view
> it on a Windows or Linux machine I get the error message "unable to
> extract the embedded font XXX" and most of the text in the document
> comes up as dots.

Which fonts are you using? In case these are the standard LaserWriter
fonts such as Times, Helvetica, Courier, etc., then you are probably
using gwTeX's default setting of not including the fonts in the PDF
file. To cure this, either run the Configure stage of the TeX i-
Package (possibly in Expert mode) and, when asked about font
inclusion, choose "Include"; or, equivalently, run in Terminal:

	sudo -H updmap-sys --setoption dvipsDownloadBase35 true
	sudo -H updmap-sys --setoption pdftexDownloadBase14 true
	sudo -H updmap-sys --setoption dvipdfmDownloadBase14 true

Another possible cause is an encoding problem; or using a font in a
format (for example PostScript Type 3) that the PDF viewer on your
Windows or Linux machine doesn't understand. Which viewer are you
using, by the way?

Bruno Voisin