[OS X TeX] Using xdvik with eps graphics?

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Fri Mar 17 22:56:38 CET 2006

On 17 Mar 2006, at 11:04, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 17 mars 06 à 10:40, Bruno Voisin a écrit :
>
>> Thus it seems gs is made an alias to either gs-X11 or gs-noX11 at
>> install time, depending on whether Apple X11 is present or not.
>
> Wait: I think I understand. IIRC, the MacTeX distribution <http://
> www.tug.org/mactex/> assumes the user has no X11 installed; hence
> gs must be an alias to gs-noX11, when installed this way. I imagine
> this is the case for the original poster (I cannot check, as I have
> stuck to i-Installer's install thus far).
>
> Given MacTeX installs i-Installer, I would suggest the original
> poster to open the Ghostscript i-Package in i-Installer (just
> double-click the package, it should be somewhere inside an i-
> Packages folder in the user's home directory), then re-run the
> Install procedure (i.e. click on the Install button). i-Installer
> should check whether X11 is present, and correct the alias as
> necessary.

Configure would be enough.

Two more remarks:

1. if it is indeed the case that this is a result of the MacTeX
installer, you can understand my feeling about remarks like "Gerben
installs it wrongly"
2. The check for the specific X dynamic library is good because the
gs binary is linked against that library and will fail to run without
it. Any other X11 on another location would not work.

For the geeks:

$ otool -L `which gs`
/usr/local/bin/gs:
         /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.6.dylib (compatibility version 6.0.0,
current version 6.0.0)
         /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.6.dylib (compatibility version 6.0.0,
current version 6.0.0)
         /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.6.dylib (compatibility version 6.3.0,
current version 6.3.0)
         /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.6.dylib (compatibility version 6.4.0,
current version 6.4.0)
         /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.6.dylib (compatibility version 6.2.0,
current version 6.2.0)
         /usr/lib/libz.1.1.3.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
current version 1.1.3)
         /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
current version 71.1.4)