[OS X TeX] Dots in file names

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Fri Mar 17 00:34:13 CET 2006

Le 16 mars 06 à 02:02, André Bellaïche a écrit :

> How can you tell \includegraphics or TeXShop or teTeX or MacOS that
> in "Fig.I.1.1" there is no extension (the system is aware that this
> is a .eps file, of course), and that in "Fig.I.1.1.eps", the
> extension is .eps. ?
>
> Instead of that :
>
>  \includegraphics{Fig.I.1.1} returns   ! LaTeX Error: Unknown
> graphics extension: .I.1.1.
>
> \includegraphics{Fig.I.1.1.eps} returns   ! LaTeX Error: Unknown
> graphics extension: .I.1.1.eps.
>
> By the way, Fig-I-1-1.eps works, but any file name beginning with a
> "-" sign yields an immediate fatal error.
>
> If dots, slashes, backslashes are forbidden, and "-" is hazardous,
> how do you separate chapter, section, etc. numbers in file names ?
> Using dots, as used by LaTeX, seemed to be the standard way,...
>
> André Bellaïche

Thank you to Ross Moore for suggesting the use of the underscore.

I have had a second thought, and made some trials.

1) Apple Informations (cmd-I) : The answer is Name + extension is
Fig.I.1.1; without extension, same answer. So MacOS is well aware
that this name contains no extension.

2) Adobe Illustrator opens this file without any problem.

3) So does Microsoft Word, and you can read Fig.I.1.1

4) When you create a file named untitled.1.2.3, and open it with
TeXShop, the application thinks it is a file named  untitled.1.2,
with extension .3, and it suggests you to save it as untitled.1.2,
with extension .tex. This means, only the segment delimitated by the
last dot is considered as being the extension.

So, can I think that there is some flaw in the programming of
\includegraphics, and that this flaw can be cured easiy ?

André Bellaïche