[OS X TeX] spaces in names

Roberto Avanzi roberto.avanzi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 17:07:08 CET 2006

On 16 Mar 2006, at 10:44, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 16.03.2006 um 15:17 schrieb Massimiliano Gubinelli:
>
>> could someone give me hints on what it wrong with me?
>
> Your *not* using Emacs, Massimiliano!
>
> I can do in GNU Emacs 22.0.50:
>

> pete 180 /\ pushd ~/Quellen/texshopsource/More/
>
> pete 181 /\ pdflatex LaTeX\ Class\ -\ Article
> This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5)

I think the reason it works is the recent Web2C version, not emacs.
Empty spaces in the name of the MAIN file are not a problem even
with TeXshop.  The files  "LaTeX Class - Article".aux etc are
input from the LaTeX system itself, are passed to the TeX engine
as strings, they are thus not really parsed for whitespaces,
and they are supported.

The problem Massimiliano is having is a different one and has
to do with the working of the \input command (that interpretes
whitespace as end of its argument, even if you just put braces).
This has been changed only relatively recently in order to
allow spaces in filenames, and this required changes in TeX's
internals (to support the spaces) as well as in the \input command
itself.  Typing \input{"file with spaces.tex"}
is a bit awkward, but works, at least.

  liebe Grüße

   Roberto