[OS X TeX] BibDesk: Unable to save metadata cache file

Winfried Zettelmeyer Winfried at Zettelmeyer.com
Wed Mar 15 23:42:02 CET 2006

Adam, thanks for your answer.
As I detected later, the .bib file had linebreaks in the title field
of one entry. When that was corrected everything was fine. Before,
different from what your answer suggests, new entries were not
recognised. I looked at the log file and did not find anything around
the time when the error turned up, but I might have overlooked
something in the thousands of log lines.
If the error repeats - possibly it is provocable by changing an entry
directly in the .bib file - I will look immediatly into the log.
Winfried

On 15 Mar 2006, at 21:15, Adam Maxwell wrote:
On Wednesday, March 15, 2006, at 10:47AM, Winfried Zettelmeyer
<Winfried at Zettelmeyer.com> wrote:
> Hallo all,
> I have been learning and using Bibtex now for a week and it works
> very well. However I get this message (no idea what it means) every
> time I try to save the .bib file. The BibteX console does not tell my
> anything strange when compiling (the usual warnings about empty
> fields), I can make new entries into the BibTeX template, TeXshop
> recognises the \footfullcite command of the jurabib package when
> entering the new source and puts a footnote reference, but the
> footnote remains empty with ? after any amount of Latexing and
> Bibtexing.
> What to do ? Is my bib file lost and do I have to start all over ?

That warning occurs when BibDesk is unable to save the Spotlight
metadata cache; you should never see it in practice, so I'd like to
find out why it's popping up.  Do you see anything in the console log
using /Applications/Utilities/Console.app?  There should be a more
detailed description of the error.

It has no effect on the ability to save your .bib file, so that
should be just fine.  It also is unrelated to any footnote/cite
problems you may be having.

--
Adam