[OS X TeX] Handling EPS files

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 15 20:52:27 CET 2006

On 15 Mar 2006, at 18:26, Josep M. Font wrote:

> apply epstopdf *.eps
>
> and I got a "permission denied" reply; more precisely, I got a line:
>
> /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/epstopdf:
> Permission denied.
>
> for each of the EPS files to process. Usign sudo did not solve this.
>
> Does this make any sense ? Is this to be expected ? Is there
> something wrong with my installation or configuration ? I use
> MacOSX 10.4.5, TeXShop 2.09a, and the gwTeX installation is fairly
> recent as well.

This doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps a missing executable bit, or
perhaps a missing read bit (otherwise the shell won't find the script
at all). Post the output of
     ls -l /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/epstopdf
It should be similar to:
     -rwxr-xr-x   1 root  admin  12387 Feb  6 21:17 [...]/epstopdf
I suspect your system has
     -rwx--x--x   1 [...]
Force correct permissions with
    sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/
epstopdf

> 2) A maybe related problem was that I first tried to do this
> conversion "on the fly" by putting \usepackage{epstopdf} in the
> file and then processing it with TeX + dvips + GhostScript: the
> file was typeset, but the PDF files were not produced, and no error
> message appeared.

The epstopdf package is a stopgap measure to allow pdflatex to
include eps files. Convert manually to pdf once and use pdflatex from
then on.

> 3) It was not clear to me from the thread how the "on the fly"
> conversion has to be performed (once, as advised): with TeX + dvips
> + GhostScript or with pdfTeX ? I conjecture the former...

The whole idea is to skip dvips and ghostscript, and epstopdf is
meant to be used with the _latter_

Maarten