[OS X TeX] Re: Timing problem resolved

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Tue Mar 14 23:21:12 CET 2006

Folks,

Let me expand slightly on George Gratzer's message. George sent
me a latex file with several eps graphic illustrations. The source
contained the line \usepackage{epstopdf} and George typeset
using pdflatex. So the eps files were converted to pdf when the file
was first typeset.

George asked why typesetting was so much slower in TeXShop
than from the Terminal.

I conjectured that TeXShop's code to display text in the console was
somehow at fault, and eventually got around to disabling this code.
Surprisingly, that made no difference --- my conjecture was wrong.

The actual problem was that all of the graphic files had an .eps
extension.
Consequently the eps files were converted to pdf every time
the file was typeset, even though the conversion had already been done
when the file was first typeset.

This problem didn't show up when typesetting from the terminal because
the terminal command used was

	pdflatex  myfile.tex

rather than

	pdflatex  --shell-escape  myfile.tex

and therefore no graphic conversion was done from the Terminal. As
soon as the "--shell-escape" flag was added to the Terminal command,
typesetting from Terminal and from TeXShop took the same time.

To solve the problem, make sure the conversion is only done once
rather than during every typesetting job.  I'll read with interest as
you
discuss how best to make this happen when the publisher requires
eps illustrations.

Dick