[OS X TeX] Spell Check in TeXShop?

Rolf Schmolling rolf.schmolling at alumni.TU-Berlin.de
Tue Mar 14 19:44:26 CET 2006

Hello!

I am using TexShop (2.09b) together with cocoAspell on an iBook
800Mhz/640Ram (10.4.5) and it works reasonably fast. Via context-menu
one can add to a personal dictionary; it catches latex-syntax
reasonably well even German umlauts " "u" etc.. The only caveat I
have is that it's awkward to use when there are several different
languages within the text. I think that is a limitation of the built-
in OSX spellchecker as well. If anybody knows a way around this, I'd
be most grateful!

Greetings,
Rolf Schmolling

Am 14.03.2006 um 14:04 schrieb Matthias Damm:

> Am 14.03.2006 um 03:42 schrieb Jung-Tsung Shen:
>
>> I have found out that the spellcheck feature of TeXShop (v 2.09)
>> on my
>> powerbook (MacOS X 10.4.5) is not very responsive. TeXShop didn't
>> catch all the typos: sometimes if I spotted a typo myself and
>> intentionally moved the cursor back and forth that word by keyboard,
>> it triggered TeXShop and underscored the typo; for some other simple
>> typos, however, TeXShop never caught them. Is there something
>> wrong in
>> my setup? Or, is there any way to make it more responsive? Or, should
>> I use other spell checker?
>

> I don't think it is a problem with your setup or with TeXShop, but
> probably a bug in the OS X spellchecker. I have similar problems in
> OmniOutliner: Spelling errors are marked correctly while I type,
> but not always in the whole document.
>
>> I have had some papers submitted with a
>> couple of simple typos uncaught and am really hoping to find a way to
>> improve this. (not that I am blaming TaXShop for this ... :-))
>
> You can always check the spelling using the spell checking window,
> in my experience this works correctly. I think the problems are
> limited to the "Check spelling while you type" option.
>
> Best regards,
> Matthias
>
> --
> Matthias Damm
> mad at macpla.net
> PGP key: http://macpla.net/MatthiasDamm.asc
> PGP fingerprint: CED3 6074 7F7D 3148 C6F3  DFF2 05FF 3A0B 0D12 4D41

Rolf Schmolling M.A. Historian, Rolf.Schmolling at Alumni.TU-Berlin.DE
http://rolf_schmolling.macbay.de/