[OS X TeX] New i-Installer release (2.77). `Fix' for OS X 10.4.4+ intel problems.

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sat Mar 11 15:55:43 CET 2006

People,

As people may have seen on lists and noticed themselves, i-Installer
2.76 has problems on Mac OS X 10.4.4 and up on intel hardware. This
was quite unexpected, because on Mac OS X 10.4.3 on the Developer
Transition Kit, the program ran fine. Now, since running on a higher
Mac OS X version on intel, it goes completely haywire (really
haywire, it goes completely crazy). If this is an i-Installer bug
that now for the first time triggers this behaviour, or a Mac OS X
10.4.4+ bug or both I do not know and I have sollicited Apple's help
in trying to find out what is going on. In the meantime, I suddenly
have a program that just does not work on Mac Intel hardware.

I have released a new version which has a 'fix' for this. It only
comes compiled for PowerPC. It then runs fine in Rosetta on Mac OS X
10.4.5 on Intel hardware, I suspect mainly because the PowerPC
version is compiled against an older Mac OS X version (10.3.9).

On Intel hardware that means i-Installer itself is slower.

Note that the contents of the i-Packages (TeX and friends) are still
almost all universal, hence only the installation process will be
slower on Intel, but the end result will be installed universal
software.

I would appreciate confirmation that the current version of i-
Installer works on other Intel systems besides mine.

Yours,