[OS X TeX] Basic question on BibTex

Winfried Zettelmeyer Winfried at Zettelmeyer.com
Sat Mar 11 15:17:20 CET 2006

Johan, Herbert, Paul,
thanks a lot. I read the Latex Tricks and followed the other advice
and get a beautiful Reference list now.

However, I want references to appear in the respective footnotes AND
in the Reference list.
If I drag and drop a TeX cite command into the source file, only a
bracketed reference list entry number without title appears in
the .pdf text, the title only shows in the Reference list. If I drag/
drop a RTF description, the title appears in the .pdf, but not in the
Reference list. Enclosing it with \footnote sends it down to the
bottom of the page where I want it to be. Only additionally including
a \cite command as in
<\footnote{\cite{Milton2000Complete-W}[1]P. Milton. Complete works,
2000.}>
makes the title also appear in the Reference list, but the footnote
is now shown with 2 reference numbers such as
<[1][1]P. Milton. Complete works, 2000.>
Apart from that, there is the hassle of switching the citation
preferences forth and back to produce this result.
Leslie Lamport does not explain how to do it nor do Peter Newbury's
Latex Tricks. What is the REAL solution? I am certain I am missing
some TeX magic here.

Winfried

On 10 Mar 2006, at 20:24, Johan Almqvist wrote:
On Mar 10, 2006, at 20:17, Winfried Zettelmeyer wrote:
> Hallo, all,
> after unsuccessfully searching on the bibdesk-users list sorry for
> asking this Level-0-question here:
> I am starting with Bibdesk (version 1.2.5), opened a new
> bibliography and entered a publication, complete with citation key.
> I have saved the file in the folder with the .tex and aux-files.
> When dragging the entry into my .tex file it is appears nicely with
> \cite{}, however, it does not compile, showing only ? in the pdf
> output. The log file says "LaTeX Warning: Citation
> `Milton2000Approaches-to-p' on page 3 undefined on input line 82".
> So it apparently does not find the .bib file. Where to put
> this .bib file so that the entry is recognised ?
> Thanks for your help !

It sound to me like you haven't run bibtex on the file. To understand
how bibtex works, read
	http://www.iam.ubc.ca/~newbury/tex/bibtex.html
Especially the following part:
"Right, so you make this database file ................"

-Johan