[OS X TeX] TeXMaker 1.3 Universal Binary

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Mar 9 07:14:07 CET 2006

Le 8 mars 06 à 22:59, markus bongard a écrit :

> On 8 Mar 2006, at 22:19, Jung-Tsung Shen wrote:
>
>> Sorry for a naive question: My system is 10.4.x. Should I install the
>> binary version (with Qt4.1), or I can grab the binary version for
>> MacOSX 10.3.x? What's the difference?
>
> [...]
>
> If there is a version of a program or framework available
> exclusively created and recommended for the operating system
> version you're using on your computer, why would you like to
> install some version which is recommended for a different system
> version?

Though I'm not sure Jung-Tsung's motivation was exactly the
following, I suspect so: given the Mac OS X Texmaker binary available
at the original Texmaker site <http://www.xm1math.net/texmaker/
download.html> doesn't require the installation of any framework, is
it really necessary to install your Qt4.1 framework for running your
Texmaker universal binary; and, for somebody running OS X 10.4 on a
PPC Mac, is your Texmaker binary significantly different from the one
at Texmaker's site? Perhaps a more recent version?

The problem is, I'd rather not install a framework if not strictly
necessary. Call me paranoid, but I was practically dragged away from
the Mac platform at the time of Mac OS 7 to 9 when the Extensions
mechanism was introduced, with different Mac OS software installing
mutually incompatible extensions leading to system crashes and
instability. Just when OS X Public Beta was released, I was
experiencing at least 3 system crashes per day and was about to
switch to Windows or Linux. Fortunately OS X changed all that (with
for example long Mathematica calculations running for a week in the
background without being interrupted by any system crash).

Thus, I'm not willing to be faced now with similar problems on OS X,
due to kernel extensions, frameworks and the like. In other words,
I'm not willing to introduce any component modifying the default OS X
behaviour, if that can be avoided.

Bruno Voisin