[OS X TeX] TeXMaker 1.3 Universal Binary

markus bongard markus.bongard at umh.es
Wed Mar 8 22:59:48 CET 2006

gentle persons,

On 8 Mar 2006, at 22:19, Jung-Tsung Shen wrote:

> Sorry for a naive question: My system is 10.4.x. Should I install the
> binary version (with Qt4.1), or I can grab the binary version for
> MacOSX 10.3.x? What's the difference?

This installer packages of  TeXMaker 1.3 requires an installation of
MacOSX 10.4.x and Qt4.1.0. Because it is an universal binary it
incorporates native versions of the program for PPC and Intel
processor based MacOSX 10.4.x machines. So if you run MacOSX 10.4.x
you should download the universal binary (UB) of TeXMaker and the
required Qt4.1.0 framework (UB); this gives nice program performance
on PPC AND Intel based Macs.
You should make the choice simply based on the version of the MacOSX
you're on - technically the Qt4.1.0 version for MacOSX 10.3.x is
compiled using gcc 3.1 and is PPC-only; the version for MacOSX 10.4.x
is compiled using gcc 4.1 in the mentioned form. I don't know what
will happen if you run the UB-version of TeXMaker with the "MacOSX
10.3-version" of the Qt4.1.0 framework… and on a second thought, I
probably will never test that… =8)

If there is a version of a program or framework available exclusively
created and recommended for the operating system version you're using
on your computer, why would you like to install some version which is
recommended for a different system version?

cheers,