[OS X TeX] [Sort-of Off]: Plotting Software

markus bongard markus.bongard at umh.es
Wed Mar 8 10:13:12 CET 2006

gentle persons,

On 8 Mar 2006, at 04:50, Alain Schremmer wrote:

>> or, if you have additionally installed  Qgfe (and the needed
>> Qt3.3.x  framework *installer on the same, ATG-website*), as well
>> as Aquaterm,  you can simply select it from the "terminal"-menu -
>> screenshot of  Qgfe running on MacOSX is here -> http://
>> naranja.umh.es/~atg/images/ screen-qgfe-terminals.png .
>> Aquaterm in general is just a MacOSX-native output-terminal for
>> gnuplot (that's why it's "Aqua"–"term"), which allows native, PDF-
>> based display of any plot (well, and it can be used from your own
>> programs).
>
> Are you saying I need Qgfe on top of  Aquaterm? I looked at the
> images and they look good. But
>
>    "A good knowledge of Gnuplot is required to use Qgfe."
>
> is ominous.

to point this out more clearly: gnuplot is a command-line based
program, for the Mac exist at least 2 incarnations - one which is *as
far as I remember* a Carbon-based version which includes its own
terminal; and one, which runs on all *nix-based OSes in  the shell of
your choice (this is the recommended version. As it was posted
previously one should install gnuplot 4, the MacOSX version is
available from sourceforge -> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/
gnuplot/Gnuplot-4.0.0.dmg?download ). From the included ReadMe:

This version of gnuplot requires that you have AquaTerm and X11
installed. The installer will warn if these cannot be found, but will
continue with the installation. Gnuplot will however fail to run
until the dependencies are resolved.

Get AquaTerm 1.0 from http://aquaterm.sourceforge.net
Install X11 from your Mac OS X install CD, or see http://
www.apple.com/macosx for more info.

The nice point about gnuplot is that it uses so called "terminals"
for output. As a simplified example, the terminal "aqua" uses the
external program Aquaterm to display "native" PDF-based plots under
MacOSX. Additionally the X11-installation is needed, because gnuplot
uses some libraries which are included with this package (and are not
installed "normally" with MacOSX).

Now to Qgfe: this is a QT3-based (and therefore cross-platform) GUI
for gnuplot - it makes interacting with gnuplot easier because
several options and plot parameters - but not all - can be accessed
from this GUI. The "good knowledge of gnuplot" is needed, because of
course your input of e.g. functions or parameters has to follow the
gnuplot conventions. The workflow normally is to start Qgfe, use the
interface to provide the needed parameters (like: which display
terminal (and(or output file) to use, 2D- or 3D-, data-, or functions-
plot, fit-paramters,  etc. ). After that you click "plot" and Qgfe
will display a window with the sequence of gnuplot commands which
will used and send to gnuplot for the plot. This is the moment, when
one can include additional gnuplot options or parameters which are
not accessible from the GUI *so at this point, when needed, a "good
knowledge of gnuplot" is clearly needed*. Click "Ok" and - if
gnuplot, Aquaterm and X11 are installed - Qgfe will call gnuplot, and
using the choosen display terminal (default is Aquaterm under MacOSX)
your plot will be shown.

The mentioned precompiled version of gnuplot offers, besides native
MacOSX-display and PDF-output based on Aquaterm, several other output
formats like SVG, Illustrator, PostScript, fig, LaTeX, pstricks,
pslatex, texdraw, various pixel-based formats and output to ASCII-
tables (technically there is a "galaxy" of output terminals, if you
need a special one, which is not included with the pre-built binary,
you have to compile gnuplot yourself).

Maybe this is becoming too much "off-topic" for this list (?), so it
might reasonable to communicate directly if further information is
needed (I packaged and maintain the Qgfe-binary-, as well the other
installers for MacOSX on http://naranja.umh.es/~atg).

cheers,

Markus Bongard