[OS X TeX] Re: plotting Software

Denis Chabot chabotd at globetrotter.net
Wed Mar 8 02:43:25 CET 2006

Hi,

I used to make all my graphs with KaleidaGraph. I was a beta tester a
couple of times, but became discouraged at how slowly my suggestions
were taken (and the near absence of any progress at all) since they
paused the Mac version to work on a Windows version. Progress has
been slow or non-existent ever since. Happened to EndNote too, and to
Panorama, two programs I used to like a lot (for references and
databases, respectively). I pretty much dropped all three in recent
years, but I still use KG occasionally.

I now do most of my plots in R (free, details already provided in
of graphic types that KG does not have and that would take me a while
to produce in R. It has a different "philosophy" but it is a rather
nice program. And the company is responsive. I suggested a graph type
it could not make, and within a couple of months was contacted for
more details. The new graph type quickly became available in a free
upgrade. Both R and Aabel produce pdf plots by default.

Denis