[OS X TeX] i386 versus powerpc?

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Tue Mar 7 22:09:28 CET 2006

I am running TeX on a MacBook Pro. When I go in the terminal and say:

loon:~ gray$ pdflatex filename.tex

how do I know that it is executing the proper binaries in i386-apple-
darwin-current versus binaries in powerpc-apple-darwin-current? This
has come up, because we have some AppleScripts that call various TeX-
related binaries and right now we are just using pdfcrop or pdflatex
and not specifying the entire path. I want to make sure I am using
native binaries. Do I need to specify the entire path or is there
some variable set somewhere that is telling the machine to always use
the i386 binaries?*

Thank you,

-- Gary

* This is taken care of TeXShop in the Engine tab by specifying the
entire path to the binary.