[OS X TeX] converting jpg to eps

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Mar 7 18:28:00 CET 2006

Le 7 mars 06 à 17:36, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> Am 07.03.2006 um 14:50 schrieb Arthur Snoke:
>
>> When I did a "man convert" I was referred to web sites, but none
>> mention eps2.  My version seems to be 6.2.5 (or whatever i-
>> installer did last month).  I would appreciate more knowledge
>> about what eps2 does.
>
> Probably in /usr/local/share/doc/ImageMagick-6.2.5/www you can find
> convert.html which will explain everything.

Only place where I found eps2 is <file:///usr/local/share/doc/
ImageMagick-6.2.6/www/formats.html>, but it doesn't say much more as
telling that's PostScript Level 2.

As to the syntax eps2:filename.eps to specify the output file
filename.eps must be in eps2 format whatever the extension, I
couldn't find any clear explanation of it. The closer to an
explanation is, in <file:///usr/local/share/doc/ImageMagick-6.2.6/www/
command-line-processing.html>

> Explicit Image Format
>
> Images can be stored in a mryiad of image formats including the
> better known JPEG, PNG, TIFF and others. ImageMagick must know the
> desired format of the image before it is written. ImageMagick
> leverages the filename extension to determine the format. For
> example, image.jpg tells ImageMagick to write the image in the JPEG
> format. In some cases the filename does not identify the image
> format. In these cases, the image is written in the format it was
> originally read unless an explicit image format is specified. For
> example, suppose we want to write our image to a filename of image
> in the raw red, green, and blue intensity format:
>
>   convert image.jpg rgb:image

and in <file:///usr/local/share/doc/ImageMagick-6.2.6/www/command-
line-options.html#format>

> ps:imagemask
>     If the ps:imagemask flag is defined, the PS3 and EPS3 coders will
>     create Postscript files that render bilevel images with the
> Postscript
>     imagemask operator instead of the image operator.
>
> For example, to create a postscript file that will render only the
> black pixels of a bilevel image, use:
>
>     convert bilevel.tif -define ps:imagemask eps3:stencil.ps

but I wouldn't call that explicit.