[OS X TeX] Cocoa Text System

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Mar 4 17:21:10 CET 2006

On Mar 4, 2006, at 9:45 AM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A few days ago I came across this description of the Cocoa Text
> System. For me it solved a long standing annoyance where the
> decimal separator on the numeric keypad follows the keyboard layout
> rather than the decimal separator in the international preferences
> pane. Quite annoying when entering a number in OmniOutliner and the
> keyboard was set to Dutch. Add
>    "#," = ("InsertText:", ".")
> to the DefaultKeyBindings.dict file and the problem disappears.
> This may be useful for the German keyboard layout as well. The text
> also contains a sample of how to add Greek letters to Cocoa
> applications, or LaTeX sequences, so typing α (ctrl-g a) or \alpha
> (ctrl-m a) becomes really easy. Hope this may be useful to some,
>
> Maarten
>
> The link to the write-up:
>    http://hcs.harvard.edu/~jrus/Site/Cocoa%20Text%20System.html

Howdy,

Thanks for that URL, it's very interesting.

I've added

<dict>
	<key>^U</key>
	<string>uppercaseWord:</string>
	<key>^u</key>
	<string>capitalizeWord:</string>
	<key>~^u</key>
	<string>lowercaseWord:</string>
	<key>~v</key>
	<string>pageUp:</string>
</dict>

to the file. This gives Ctl-u, Opt-Ctl-u and Shft-Ctl-u as
Capitalize, lowercase and UPPERCASE the word (the cursor must be in
the word) and also adds Opt-v to pageup and vertically center the
cursor (much as Ctl-v already does pagedown and vertically center the
cursor) like emacs.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)